Success stories of Pathdarshan Foundation
Items: 1 - 1 of 1
In todays world every Young person is asked and wanted to be a leader. Here are some reflections and ideas about a good leader.
To lead means: -to draw along, go ahead or show the way
-to move before or in advance of
-to take or to have the initiative, to make a beginning or act first
-to direct an action, thought or an opinion
-to draw or direct by influence good or bad.
A leader is often prescribed as one who knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.
To be a good leader
1. Know the meaning of ‘love’: It is not possible for everyone to have a great intellect, but it is possible to have a great heart.
2. Speak from your heart and not from your lips alone.
3. Develop a sense of joyfulness: Laugh at your shortcomings. Be carefully patient with those of others; play down the scolding attitude and you will be a leader who inspires men in the midst of hardships and suffering that every true leader must endure.
4. Look up to God: Ship-Mast-inexperienced youngster- sent up- to rectify or to tie the flag- did his job- coming down- looked down- frightened, about to faint- Captain-“Look up”-reached down safe and sound. Look up to God in every struggle and trouble.
Human tendency is ‘to look down’ and see only the difficulties and discouragements…
By looking up to God you will gain courage and the difficulties will disappear.
5. Take the initiative: “Stop bothering me with blueprints and build something.”-advice given by Alfred Smith to his associates.
6. Make up your mind: Everyone suffers when even one person shies away from decisions that should be made. To be an effective leader, one must guard against indecision and be ready to make decisions whenever and wherever needed.
Be a Doer and not a Complainer
It does not take a thimbleful of brains to be complainer or fault-finder. But it does require wisdom and fortitude 1. to find the element of good in every person or situation 2.to put good ideas into circulation rather than cry about bad ones. “Be ye doers of the word and not hearse only, deceiving yourselves. (James 1:22)
Strive to be dedicated
If you dedicate yourself for love of God or to the course of mankind, your whole life will take on a newer and fuller meaning.
Lead by Serving
If you are really determined to help others rather than dominate them, you must be prepared to:
-Endure misunderstanding and suffering instead of honour and glory
-Show initiative when most people are apathetic
-Plunge ahead when it would be so easy to drift with the tide.
-Take a courageous stand when others are succumbing to expediency or timidity.
-Live up to parental, religious and social obligations when there is a strong temptation to neglect or evade them.
If you understand from the very beginning that to lead is to serve, you are bound to accomplish great good in your life.
Frequently reflect on the divine standard laid down by the Master: “He that shall be the first among you, shall be the servant, even as the son of man is not come to be served but to serve and to give up his life for many.
Win by Losing
When you accept a position of responsibility, don’t be surprised by the headaches and heartbreaks you are bound to encounter. They are the lot of worthwhile leader. Far from being disheartened by these ‘penalties of leaderships’ regard them as a badge of honor.
I asked for strength, that I might achieve
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing I asked for. Almost despite myself my unspoken prayers wee answered.
I am among men most richly blessed.
Fifteen ways to strengthen your government
1. Start with yourself.
-The punishment of wise men who refuse to take part in the affairs of government is to
Live under the government of unwise men. (Plato)
-Governments like clocks, go from the motion men give them and governments are made and moved by men so by them they are ruled also. Therefore governments depend upon men rather than men upon governments. (William Punn)
2. Appreciate what self-government means. (Steering a ship)
3. Stand up for your convictions- Fight for freedom
4. Make it your business 5.Find ways of your own
6. Stir up young peoples’ interest 7.Lend a hand
8. Know your government 9.Keep this nation under God
10. Become a well informed voter 11.Recognize that it it is your country
12. Study the problems (issues-economic, educational, social,)
13. Encourage, don’t discourage. 14. Watch government costs
15. Cultivate a respect for authority.
Qualities of a Leader
Blessed is the leader who knows where he is going, why he is going and how to get there
Blessed is the leader who knows no discouragement
Blessed is the leader who presents no excuse (alibi)
Blessed is the leader who cares for the good and not his personal gratification
Blessed is the leader who knows how to lead without being dictatorial
Blessed is the leader who develops leaders while leading
Blessed is the leader who has his head in the clouds and feet on the ground
Blessed is the leader who considers leadership an opportunity for service
It is all up to you
It is all up to you
You are the fellow who has to decide
Whether you’ll do it or toss it aside
You are the fellow that makes up your mind
Whether you’ll lead or linger behind
Whether you’ll try for a goal that is afar
Or just be contented to stay where you are.
Take it or leave it, there is something to do
Just think it over; it is all up to you.